Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Voice

I commute a fair distance to work and having all that time on my hands allows me time to think. Last night was one of those times. I used to sing a lot. I took voice lessons in college, I was in theatre, and I was always in a choir. Music played such an important part in my life and as I was driving it occurred to me that it has been over 10 years since I sang a solo. (Not that I am any good by any means) It was then that I realized that I have lost “my voice”. I didn’t just stop singing; I lost my reason to sing. As I look back it is also when I started to struggle with my testimony. I came to the conclusion that in many ways my “voice” is tied to my testimony. I can recall singing hymns and other gospel music and the joy that literally “swelled my heart”. I still sing in church, but to be perfectly honest something from within is missing. Please do not misunderstand I know without a doubt that the gospel is upon the earth and that we do have a living Prophet who guides and directs us. My struggle is where I fit in. Where is my place? Do I even have a place? Because I am not a mother will I ever have a place? My struggle with infertility has left a gaping hole in my heart. I used to know that there would come a day that I would hold and softly sing to my precious little one. I believed that my voice could be my child’s source of comfort. Those and so many more gave me reason to sing. As I lost those reasons somewhere along the way I allowed myself to get lost. Fortunately, for me I have a wonderful man at my side that loves and cares for me beyond measure. He is my compass. He is my anchor! He still hears “my voice” when I cannot.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sweetie, SING! You have an enormous heart (I know that I don't know you - but I think I'm beginning to know your "heart")and you have reason to sing- sing for all those soldiers, sing for those who are lost, sing for the love of your husband and sing for the most important reason..YOU!

    God uses us all in different ways - just keep seeking your path and you will be lead to it...

    ReplyDelete